Just for kicks, I have sent an appeal e-mail to BCBS. I know exactly what they're going to say: DENIED. I don't care, though. I'm appealing anyway. At least it'll be on record.
Below is the e-mail I just sent (and I already got the automated e-mail receipt from them):
Dear BCBS Rep:
I am writing to you regarding an issue with my insurance coverage, and am hoping someone can review my policy and provide me with some feedback.
At this time, my policy does not include any coverage for infertility treatments. My husband, a cancer survivor, was left 100% infertile from aggressive chemo and radiation treatments over the past six years. Prior to his treatments, he was able to bank his sperm for future fertility cycles.
My husband's complete infertility is documented, and our reproductive endocrinologist has agreed that in-vitro fertilization is the only method that can provide us a chance at having our own children.
Since we live in a state with mandated infertility coverage, we are hoping infertility treatment benefts can be extended to us on the basis of medical necessity. The out-of-pocket expenses of fertility treatments are more than we can bear, and the financial as well as the emotional burden is taking a toll on us.
Please advise me as to whether or not any sort of treatment coverage can be extended to us in our attempt to start a family. We can provide any medical documentation needed.
Sincerely,
Lauren
4 comments:
As always - very well written, Lauren. From the heart - emotional, but not over the top emotional. I hope someone at BCBS has a heart, and I hope you get the coverage you need!
Good luck!
Good for you! I agree w Nikki, very well written and to the point w some heart strings being pulled at the same time. I hope they wisen up and give you what you deserve!
You are so good at writing these appeals! I'm so glad you posted these on here so that others in the same boat can google for ideas. I know you have explained this before on your blog, but I forget how they are able to work around the mandate. Maybe you could even consult a lawyer? Do you know of anyone in your church or through a friend who practices insurance litigation? Also, maybe you could contact INCIID to see if they can help you plead your case. I will facebook you more info...
Good luck....
Post a Comment