Sunday, January 3, 2010

You Asked

Merry Christmas. Happy new year. It's been a couple weeks....

First and foremost, Mike is doing well. Since my last post, his liver levels did come down after a week of no chemo. So, it apparently was the chemo which drove up his liver levels. The best news was that his liver function tests are also drawing closer to normal, and they're lower than they have been in months. Mike was finally able to get that IV chemo last week, and he's continuing with a modified oral chemo regimen. Unfortunately, he's still battling some wicked muscle cramps in the legs, feet and hands (he's had them to varying degrees for many months now). The doctors shrug their shoulders at the cause, but we suspect possible culprits to be low magnesium, a short stint on Cipro, and/or drastic drops in Prednisone. Please pray for a resolution to these cramps.

OK, a few months ago I asked if anyone had any questions they'd like to ask me. I planned to answer them soon after until all hell broke loose in our lives and I put that on the back-burner. Now, I have set aside some time to post the answers....

Nichole asked:
I know that you had some family members aide you financially in a couple of IVF cycles. Do you mind me asking how that came about (did you ask, did they offer) and how has that changed your relationship with those that helped you.
Also (I guess I have two questions) did the fact that family helped you with the money make the fact that the IVF's didn't work harder to take?


I answered:
The way this amazing financial blessing came about was so random. A few years ago, the day after a family golf tournament, everyone gathered for a little family party. Somehow, Mike, his dad and a cousin-in-law, Leo, started chit-chatting, and Mike soon found out that Leo worked with fertility clinics, selling them diagnostic equipment. Mike then mentioned our situation, just as part of the conversation, hoping Leo could provide some pointers on searching for the right clinic. A few weeks later, Leo called us to say we should make an appointment with the clinic of our choice when we were ready -- it would be taken care of. We were stunned. Mike didn't even know Leo that well, and I had only met him once or twice. Now, Leo never actually said this, but we were under the impression that he made a deal with the clinic, maybe getting them to do this pro bono or something. We found out a couple years later that after that fateful family party, Leo approached a few family members (those who were financially comfortable), and asked them about all pooling money to pay for our treatments. One family member, Brian (a very wealthy cousin), said he would like to pay for it all himself, and he did. Brian was also someone I didn't know, and he was a cousin Mike had only seen sporadically over the years. So here were two wonderful people who took care of everything, wanting nothing in return -- no payback, no glory, not even credit. It was truly a blessing of a lifetime.
As for the effect on our relationships with them, we don't see either of them often, but we naturally still thank them profusely every time we see them. Both Leo and Brian are so humble and genuinely just wanted to help. That fact that the treatments didn't work did make Mike and I feel a little guilt (not that the failures were our fault), but I don't think they ever felt like what they did was a waste. I think they were more disappointed and hurt for us than anything else, and they were glad to help. Like Brian said, "All I did was cut a check."


***********************************************

"Anonymous" (aka, my darling husband, Mike) asked:
How did you get such a stud for a husband?

I answered:
Got lucky, I guess. ;)

***********************************************

Miss Tori asked:
What do you do for a living?
How did you and DH meet?
Detail an ideal date with your DH.


I answered:
I currently work for an environmental company doing invoice auditing. I took a job with this company (the same one Mike works for) a few years ago "just until I found something better," but here I am almost five years later. The job is repetitive and I do want to move on, but something always keeps me there. Having been a communications (journalism) major, I'm obviously not in my dream job. Right now though, stability is the most important thing for us, and it's not the time to be looking for a job.

As for how Mike and I met, I am proud to say we are an Internet success story! Back in early 2001, a friend of mine joined Matchmaker.com. On a total whim, I thought, "Hey, I should try that just for fun." I did the two-week free trial, and actually met some cool people. Unbeknownst to me, at that same time, Mike's friend joined the same site and told Mike that if he joined, he'd get another free week for referring someone. Mike reluctantly joined to help his friend. A couple months later, Mike somehow found me during one of his searches, e-mailed me and we became e-pals. I was living in New York, he was living in Florida. Neither of us had any intention of meeting, so we just became good friends. We would e-mail each other, chat on Messenger, all the while dating other people. I loved Mike's sense of humor and they way he could keep up with trading "Seinfeld" lines. Then in May, he was having trouble finding a new job and decided to move back to his home state of Massachusetts. He asked if I wanted to meet up for lunch while he passed through New York. We did (Burger King of all places -- one of the easiest places to find off the highway), and we continued to hit it off. Soon after, he invited me to his friend's wedding and shortly thereafter we began dating. He is my dream come true.

An ideal date with Mike..... Well, our big indulgence is eating out -- not necessarily fancy places, but we are definitely a bad influence on each other when it comes to ditching the food in the fridge and heading out to eat. We don't really have many "date nights" but I'd say an ideal date would be having a great dinner at one of our favorite places and relaxing with some drinks and great conversation. We don't really go to the movies much, but that's always a fun time when we do. Another favorite thing to do is to catch a ball game. We're both sports nuts, so a day at the ballpark is always fun.


**********************************************

Kristy asked:
What is your favorite way to un-wind after a stressful day?
If you could only eat one meal everyday for the rest of your life, what would it be?
If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have one item what would it be? Why?


I answered:
After a stressful day (or any day, really!), I love getting home and getting the work clothes off as soon as possible and changing into my favorite comfy clothes. I'll turn on the TV and find some of my favorite re-runs, or a good show or game that might be on that evening. Maybe I'll enjoy a glass of wine. Just hanging out with Mike and being in our own home makes me happy.

One meal for the rest of my life? This question always kills me. It sooooo depends on the mood! For fun, super-casual food, I could always have my number three meal from Taco Bell (with a cherry Pepsi). For more "upscale" dining, chicken parm is my staple when eating out. Everyone knows it. I'm so predictable when it comes to food. As Mike mockingly says when he imitates me, "I like what I like."

If I were stranded on a desert island, I'd better have Mike with me or I'd lose it. Does that count? If we're talking a non-human item, I'd have to say I'd bring a computer with Internet access. That way I can watch TV, keep up on news, and e-mail the authorities to tell them where I'm at. Of course, if this island has Wi-Fi, it can't be all that deserted....


Thanks for all your questions! I'm always open to more. :)

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Hi Lauren,
Thanks for your comments on my blog. You have been through so much with your infertility and with Mike. I admire your strength and courage. I'll be following your journey and praying for some good news in 2010.