Last week Mike's doctor did a lumbar puncture because he had been complaining of some numbness/tingling in one of his hands. We got the call Wednesday night that they found some leukemic cells in Mike's spinal fluid. Naturally surprised and ticked off, Mike went right to bed after getting the news, and woke up a few hours later with the chills and a fever. We were up all night, and then drove to the hospital Thursday morning.
They started him on IV antibiotics, and also gave him some chemo directly into the spine (because the spine is a protected area of the body, regular chemo treatments can't penetrate the area and chemo must be administered directly into the spine). Thankfully, the docs didn't feel it necessary that he be admitted, so he was able to come home Thursday evening.
They also did a nose swab, and yesterday they told him it tested positive for influenza A -- likely H1N1, though they don't test any further to be sure. So now he's on some more meds and antibiotics, and of course gets a break from chemo for the weekend. He'll go back Monday for more blood work and spinal chemo.
The fun just never ends.
P.S. After reading Courtney's blog, I discovered this is apparently International Delurking Week. I guess it's to encourage lurkers who usually read blogs but don't leave comments to leave a little message to say they've stopped by. If you're stopping by here, please let me know you're there by leaving a little comment! Feedback encourages me that this little blog is worthwhile. :)
5 comments:
Hi Lauren,
I'm so sorry to hear that your husband's troubles are still continuing. You guys have already been through so much. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and will follow your journey.
Lauren,
I am a lurker to your blog,i am sorry to about mike's health.My prayers and thoughts are with you both.
Lauren - you and Mike are at the top of my prayer list. I am so sorry about Mike's health. You are an amazingly strong woman and I admire you very much.
We will continue to pray for peace and health for Mike and endurance and wisdom for you!
Huge Hugs!!!
Nichole
Lauren,
I think of you both often and I will continue to pray for Mike's cancer to go into remission. (((hugs)))
Praying and thinking of you. But I think you knew that. ;)
Sorry to hear Mike's news. Praying for remission.
~~HUGS~~
Post a Comment