A few months ago, one of my co-workers became a dad for the first time. He and his wife had an adorable little girl. Recently, after sharing a phone call with his wife -- where they were obviously trying to coordinate some upcoming plans with regard to the new baby -- the co-worker remarked to me, "Boy, I picked the wrong time of year to have a kid. We can't go on vacation or anything."
Now, I know what he meant, and he doesn't know my situation, but all I could muster was a polite smile to his statement and went on with my work. His remark started me thinking of all the "inconveniences" parenthood would bring, and I began making a mental list. In the end, I decided those inconveniences sound pretty good to me....
I want to bounce from one doctor's appointment to the next and get poked a prodded and get stuck with needles for blood draws.
I want to endure the bloating of ovarian stimulation.
I want to be sore from PIO injections.
I want to endure the torture of the two-week wait.
I want to wait for the dreaded call from the doctor's office the afternoon of my pregnancy test.
I want to impatiently kill time from one ultrasound to the next.
I want to have sore boobs.
I want to get morning sickness and throw up each day, have my stomach turn at the sight of a tuna fish sandwich.
I want to be so tired I can barely get through a day of work.
I want to have headaches and backaches and have to pee every 45 minutes.
I want to cry at the drop of a hat.
I want to have heartburn.
I want to miss out on a planned vacation because I can't fly while pregnant.
I want to grow out of my favorite, most comfortable jeans and have not a thing in my closet that fits.
I want stretch marks.
I want to have to pass on drinks with the girls, and just order caffeine-free ginger ale.
I want to have trouble sleeping and trouble getting comfortable in bed.
I want to worry that we won't have the nursery finished in time, and wonder if we're ready for the big day.
I want to feel contractions.
I want to wonder if the pain is ever going to end.
I want to spend two, four, six, eight, 10 -- however many it takes -- hours in labor.
I want to feel the exhaustion of just having brought our son or daughter into the world.
I want to endure one sleepless night after the next.
I want every inconvenience being a parent can bring. I want all of it, because then it simply means I'm a mom.
3 comments:
Ditto Ditto Ditto - I have one of these lists too - and it is almost identical to yours!
Thank you for reminding me to be grateful and appreciate what I do have. I always need that.
I'm praying you get all those things on your list -- much sooner rather than later.
~~HUGS~~
Oh Lauren, I want that for you too. ((((hugs))) My best friend always complains about how much her daughter wakes up at night and how tired she is. She did that about 3 days after my BFN IVF. I was already upset and I sorta went off about how I want to be up all night with ababy and I want to be so tired the next day and not be able to function. It is not fair. I hope you get your miracle soon and you get to experience everything you listed! ((((hugs))))
-Joy
Post a Comment