Sunday, August 23, 2009

Finally, A Reply

As you know, I've been patiently waiting for my company CEO (Mr. M) to reply to my insurance inquiry e-mail from late June. I know he's been busy, and I haven't been in dire need of an immediate response, so I've just been leaving a respectable amount of time before sending a follow-up e-mail. On Friday, I sent one.
At work, Mike's department is adjacent to the executive offices, so I asked one of his close co-workers, Pam, to let me know when she sees Mr. M. I didn't want to just send an e-mail blindly, taking the chance of him being out of the office and having my e-mail get lost or overlooked again. So, early Friday afternoon, Pam sent me this e-mail:

Hi! The Eagle has landed. But he may not be in for very long ~ I believe one of his grand-eaglets was born this week....

I thanked her and immediately sent my e-mail to Mr. M. I wrote:

Hi, Mr. M. I'm just following up on an e-mail I sent you in June (attached below). I know you've been extremely busy with the acquisition, and I don't want to take too much of your time, but I was just wondering if you've had a chance to look at my e-mail at all. Thank you again for your time!
Sincerely, Lauren


Within 13 minutes, he sent the following reply:

I never got your note cause the e-mail adress was wrong. I will give to benefits and ask them what can be done. Not really anything I have been asked to look at directly. I or someone else will get back to youi.

I shot back a quick, Thank you so much. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I don't quite know how to take his reply. First of all, I sent the followup e-mail to the same e-mail address I sent the initial request to, so I don't know how he didn't get it. Perhaps he accidentally deleted it, or upon seeing my second e-mail, realized he never responded to the first one. No matter. I now know he read my request.
After I showed Mr. M's reply to Mike, he asked me how I felt. I said, "I feel....weird." I mean, Mr. M is the CEO. I said in the e-mail that I'd already checked with the benefits group and there was nothing they could do, which is why I appealed to him. What would him passing it back to them accomplish?
I'm really not expecting much from this whole thing, but at least I know I gave it a try. At least if we have to go on to finance this ourselves, I can have some peace knowing I tried to get something from our insurance first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I'm glad you got some sort of a response even though it was a little vague. Maybe he'll take pity on you and MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

Tennille said...

So glad you followed back up with him! Hopefully with the request coming from him, benefits will give it some extra thought. You are right though - at least you tried and can have that peace of mind.

Courtney said...

I'm so proud of you for following up...that is not an easy thing to do with the CEO! It is amazing sometimes what can happen when the CEO takes something to a department. Even if he just forwards the message and says something like, "Look into this and get back with me." It is amazing what employees will do for the big boss. Crossing my fingers...