Yesterday, our new benefits packages from Blue Cross Blue Shield came in the mail. I anxiously opened the envelope, hoping they'd give us something to work with. As I pretty much expected, not much has changed. But, at least they've thrown us a bone.
The new insurance will include coverage for office visits -- a $25 co-pay for in-network visits, and 30% co-insurance for going out of network. The disclaimer at the bottom of the benefits outline states, in small letters, "Infertility services, including prescription drugs, are limited to the diagnosis of infertility only. No benefits are provided for the treatment of infertility." How gracious of them to bring someone to the point where they can find out why they're unable to get pregnant, but can't fix the problem to help them get a baby. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but what good is knowing the problem if they won't help solve it? Seems like a tease to me, and I already know what our problem is.
I'll have to start making phone calls to BCBS to find out exactly what they mean by "office visits." Sounds like that will at least cover a consultation, which is great considering that would run about $350 if we paid ourselves. Hopefully that will also cover some blood draws and ultrasounds, as well as any other diagnostic testing they might want to do to make sure there really is nothing wrong with me.
I still plan on writing a letter to our company's president and pleading our case (thanks for that tip, Tori!). Can't hurt.
2 comments:
I used to have BCBS and thankfully we got ride of them! They wouldn't even pay for my exam to see if I had breast cancer or not!! Hopefully you can get some financial help from them!!
Lauren, I thought you lived in a mandated state? Don't you get coverage through that mandate?
Post a Comment