Saturday, May 23, 2015

Going Home (Part 3 of 3) -- Mike's Final Days

My mom was there to stay, and MaryEllen gave up her room so my mom and I could stay there together.  I could not go back to our house.  I couldn’t step foot in there at that point.  By Sunday, we had to make the dreaded trip to the funeral home.  Jack knew someone at this place, so he felt comfortable using them.  Several of the girls made the trip with me, Ellie and Jack.  I couldn’t believe this was all happening.  We entered this awful world that we never wanted to enter.  I wondered if Mike was there, and yet I didn’t really want to know.  We all crowded into the funeral director’s office and began the process.  Which day did we want the services?  What would the obituary say?  What prayer cards did we want?  What clothes would he wear?  I brought Mike’s suit, along with his Red Sox tie, which my mom had given him for Christmas a couple years earlier.  Having never done this before, I brought everything – all the way down to his underwear, belt, socks and shoes.  There was so much emotion, and yet we all had so much numbness that we couldn’t even comprehend the breadth of the entire experience.  Then it was time to choose a casket – one that we would actually be renting since Mike would be cremated after the wake.  I chose something nice but simple, and inexpensive, which would have totally been Mike’s take on the whole thing.  He wouldn’t want us spending money needlessly on stuff that may have made us feel better but didn’t make a difference for him.  The urn was an even easier choice – a Red Sox urn.  It was completely Mike.

After all the formalities were done, we went to a nearby restaurant for lunch.  The restaurant, I believe, was one that Mike and/or the family had eaten at many years earlier when they lived in that area.  The place must have been a local favorite, as it was completely packed.  We all had to stand on long lines to order food, and then try to find empty tables where we could.  Again, I ordered something to please everyone, but barely ate.  It was just the beginning – the beginning of the end.
We agreed on a Thursday evening wake, and a Friday morning funeral mass, all in our town.  That meant we had several days of waiting and preparing.  I dreaded every ounce of it.  I wanted it all to be over with.  I wanted it never to arrive.  I just wanted to be out of this entire situation and back with Mike.  Wherever he was, that’s where I wanted to be.  I didn’t care about anything else.  The days and nights were filled with many visitors, food drop-offs, shopping for attire for the services, editing the newspaper’s death notice (which I did at least half a dozen times, going back and forth with the funeral director with multiple changes from grammatical corrections to better wording).  We went to the church and met with one of the priests to discuss Friday’s service and how it would run.  We chose some songs that were meaningful (one of them being “How Great Thou Art,” one that Mike loved, especially the version done by Elvis), and decided that instead of a typical eulogy filled with how-great-he-was memories, we would read two blog posts written by Mike in the past year or so.  We wanted his strong, beautiful words to be the lasting words our friends and family would hear.  After all, Mike always said it best.  One of the posts, entitled “When an Answer Comes Along,” was something Mike wrote after he felt God speak to him one night through The Pretenders’ song, “I’ll Stand By You.”  The other reading would be something he wrote about my love for him.  We told that priest that we wanted a family friend to sing “I’ll Stand By You” at the end of the service.  The girl was a young, talented singer, and we knew she’d nail the song.  Since the song was a secular one, we had to convince the priest that this song had great spiritual meaning, and that it was a song Mike felt was a message to him from the Lord.
Meanwhile, friends and family were preparing to come in from all parts of the country.  I had to begin choosing pallbearers and readers, so I needed to find out who was coming.  It was no surprise to me that everyone was coming.  I decided I wanted the pallbearers to be John, Anthony, Jay, Pete, Paul and Tim.  I asked Jeff and Aaron to do the readings.  Meanwhile, some of the girls were out trying to find red pieces of jewelry that we could all wear for the services.  Red was Mike’s favorite color, so we wanted to show our unity and love by wearing something in that shade.  We eventually found red beaded bracelets, and got them for all the women in the immediately family, as well as a few others we wanted to share them with.  The tension, though, was evident.  One afternoon, as a bunch of us sat in the dining room going over plans, AnnMarie came in from being out somewhere.  She was out looking for something to be used as part of the services, and started sharing what she found.  Somehow she and Ellie started to bicker about it.  It escalated until AnnMarie said, “Do you want me to leave?” and Ellie snapped back, “Yes, I do!”  AnnMarie stormed out of the house and drove off.  Everyone was silent, but I just started weeping.  I cried and said, “Mike would not want this.”  I hated what this whole thing was doing to us.  I think MaryEllen called AnnMarie and was able to calm her.  Eventually, she and Ellie made up, but it was all more than I could handle.
One of the days, I took a trip to the mall with my mom, Ellie and a couple of the girls.  I needed shoes for the wake and funeral, and I found a nice pair of red flats.  I also found a thick, strong silver chain so I could wear Mike’s wedding band around my neck.  It wasn’t much, but it was something to let me feel closer to him.  There was one bit of closeness I couldn’t handle though – I couldn’t bear the thought of going back into our house.  I couldn’t face walking through the door knowing Mike would never step foot in there again.  I couldn’t face walking through the house seeing his clothes, his books, his wallet – everything he owned just as he left it six weeks earlier.  I couldn’t stand to see the house full of his essence, knowing that when he left this house for the last time, he never knew he’d never return.  I hated the feeling of knowing something Mike didn’t know.  Regardless, I knew I had to return to the house.  I had to get clothes, as I hardly had any and I needed dresses for the week.  I had to grab pictures and mementos that we would display around the funeral parlor.  And I had to go back and find our estate planning files so I could re-read exactly what Mike wanted in the event of his death.  When I finally summoned the nerve to go to the house, I brought reinforcements.  Susan helped me gather all kinds of things around the house, including a replica of the brick we had placed at CitiField, and the booklet containing the story Mike wrote for me when he proposed.  I wanted to approach it like the Marines – get in, do the job and get out.
It was now Thursday, the day of the wake.  For the past five plus days, I was able to avoid a portion of the reality of it all.  I knew Mike was gone, and it was real because this was the longest we’d been apart since we were dating, but now I had to see him, lifeless.  By early afternoon, we all piled into our cars – full of photos and mementos – and drove the 1.7 miles to the funeral home.  As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, which was still empty, the sick feeling in my stomach grew sicker.  No matter how I felt, no matter what I could handle, I was going to have to walk into that building and come face-to-face with the moment I was dreading all week – actually, the moment I was subconsciously dreading for eight and a half years.  I got out of the car, and, wearing one of my red dresses because it was Mike’s favorite color, I walked into the building.  To add insult to injury, Mike and I actually met with someone at this funeral home about a year and a half before, after his near-fatal bout with Tamiflu-resistant pneumonia.  The incident spooked him so badly that he wanted to have things in order in the event that next time left him less lucky.  As I entered the building, the sickeningly familiar smell of lilies and other flowers forced its way into my nose.  We were met by the funeral director, and softly directed into the room where Mike lay.  As I entered the room, I knew there was nothing I could do but look to the front.  There he was, in a box, where he looked as peaceful as he’d looked in weeks.  And yet, that peace was anything but peaceful for us.  It was surreal for us all, but Debbie seemed the most affected.  She was frantically crying, as if she was watching someone she loved being hurt.  I just looked her in the eyes and said, “Debbie, he’s OK.  He’s OK.”  That seemed to calm her and give her peace, and she told me later that those words helped give her some strength to proceed throughout the day.  If only I was OK….
We all busied ourselves by peppering the various areas of the funeral home with the pictures and keepsakes we’d brought with us.  Michael consumed himself with setting up a music/photo montage which he and Debbie had been compiling throughout the week (I gave them our entire photo collection to use, as well as about 25 of our beloved or meaningful songs).  We each eventually and reluctantly made our way up to the casket, to face the fire head on.  AnnMarie’s kids, who hadn’t seen Mike in the hospital, and who hadn’t seen him since his birthday party the weekend before he was admitted to the hospital, were understandably confused and hesitant.  Mikaela, the oldest, was especially hard-hit by the loss, though she did her best to control her sadness for fear of making everyone (especially me) more sad.  Within the hour, guests began trickling in.  As if having to stand next to Mike’s dead body for five hours wasn’t enough, now we had to entertain hundreds of people.
After being pulled aside by the funeral director regarding payment, and having to go pull my credit card to settle the bill in the middle of everything, the visitation was in full swing.  The core of the family was there – Mike’s parents, siblings, nieces and nephews, my parents and brother, aunts, uncles and cousins.  Ellie stood to my right, and for a while my mom stood next to her.  The rest of the line consisted of Mike’s sisters.  Jack “worked the room” on and off in order to deal with his grief.  My grandparents couldn’t make the trip up (ironically, since Mike specifically mentioned them), but I understood.  It would have been way too much for them.  Mike’s best friend, Tim, was there the entire time, and a slew of friends from high school showed up.  Our co-workers came together in a pack, coming up one by one to pay their respects.  Even our co-worker, Trina, from the Ohio office, flew in.  I was shocked.  Mike would have loved it.  She said that since she never made our wedding, she at least had to come in now.  My boss, Rich (a chronic leukemia sufferer who often compared notes with Mike), was also there, and I know the loss hit him hard.  I know he saw part of himself when he looked at Mike and saw his ultimate fate.  The list of visitors continued – cousins, young and old on both my side and his; aunts, uncles and cousins from my hometown; my aunt and uncle from Michigan (my aunt and uncle from Oregon came in the following morning); my friends Robin, Roni, Claudia and Chris from back home; and Jen from North Carolina.  My friends Mike and Deanna came in from Pennsylvania.  They brought their son, Logan, who brought a drawing he made for Mike.  Mike’s friend Carrie came in from Iowa (and the tears and inconsolable look on her face stunned even me).  Sean came up from Florida.  Jeff and Joyalle came down from Maine.  Aaron flew in from Illinois.  Pete, Mike’s best friend from college, also came up from Florida.  I saw him as soon as he entered the funeral parlor.  He was a wreck.  As he made his way to the casket, it looked like he was going to drop to the floor.  I hugged him and almost felt like I was consoling him more than he was consoling me.  Pete was also going through a contentious separation and was facing divorce, and Mike had listened to him vent so many times in recent months.  Pete admitted that maybe he was the one who should have been listening more.  A couple of the men Mike coached Legion baseball with were there.  They brought a commemorative baseball for me, and I told them that Mike was wearing their team’s baseball shirt the day he passed.  One of the young players, Matt, showed up with his father.  Matt was visibly shaken and his eyes were full of tears.  As much as I hated seeing visitors in pain, it somehow gave me consolation to know how deeply Mike was loved.  Jack’s friend – a Massachusetts Senator – was there.  Mike’s dentist, a former professional baseball player, came to pay his respects.  Even my Irish cousin James flew in from Alaska, and James had (I think) only met Mike once.  Seeing the faces of so many people we’d shared life and love with – some who we saw last at our wedding – was hard enough.  Hearing them share their memories and love for Mike was so much harder.  Mike’s cousin, Leo – the one who had worked behind the scenes to arrange free infertility treatments for us (twice) – simply said to me, “Mike would have made a great dad.”  My Uncle Dennis, who always had a penchant for corny jokes, approached the receiving line.  Referring to the surprise birthday party we had for my uncle only a few months earlier, where he and Mike sat and chatted, he began again with one of his lines:  “Two men sat down at a barbeque …. and they were better for having known each other.”  He choked back the tears as he said this, and it was the most emotion I’d even seen in my uncle.  Mike’s oncologist, the stoic Dr. B, came to pay her respects, along with nurses Karen, Cindy and Kristina.  I’ll never forget Cindy looking at Mike and smiling and saying, “Awww….”  I think it was her nursely way of expressing her grief.  Every once in a while, I would turn to my left and look at Mike in the casket.  It never became easier, but the constant flow of friends and family allowed me to look with slightly less heartache.  The amount of people who showed up was astounding.  It spoke volumes to who Mike was.  Michael and Jay said that during the height of the visiting hours, the line was out the door.
As 9PM approached, the crowds began to dwindle.  The priest from the church gathered everyone to the center of the room.  The still-large crowd came together where the priest said a few words and then led everyone in the Lord’s Prayer.  When he was through, he asked if anyone wanted to say anything.  I knew I had to speak up.  Through my tears and pain, I said exactly what I felt Mike would have wanted me to say.  I reminded everyone of how strong Mike’s faith always was, to the end.  I told everyone that as painful as this was, to please not let his death hurt their faith.  Mike wouldn’t want that for anyone.  As dumbfounded as I was and as angry at God as I was, I felt the need to say those words.
After leaving the funeral home, Mike’s friends, from both high school and college and other parts of his life, went down to the harbor and spent a couple hours at a local pub.  They had some drinks and reminisced with Mike stories, and drank a toast to the friend they loved.  The rest of us went back to the house to emotionally regroup and to prepare for the next morning.  Karen worked on the “words of remembrance” she would share at the service.  She volunteered to do it, partly because of the special relationship the two of them had, and also because Karen was a lovable family target due to her sweet, overly emotional nature.  Mike and Jack would always tease her about never being able to deliver a speech without crying, citing the example of her emotional reading at AnnMarie’s wedding.  They told her that she’d cry if she had to recite a dinner menu.  Karen stayed up late making sure she had everything for her speech in order.  Before bed, I took some time to sit down on the bedroom floor and write Mike a letter.  I wrote to him about how things were supposed to be, and my disbelief at losing him.  I apologized for a couple things, and just told him how much I loved him, and would always love him.  It was a letter I placed in his left suit pocket before the funeral.
Friday morning we all awoke early for the most dreaded day of our lives.  I don’t remember being able to eat, though I think I mustered the strength to ingest a single piece of toast.  We then took several cars over to the funeral home, where the immediate family gathered to say their final goodbyes.  Several of my co-workers, who couldn’t make it to the wake the night before, were there to have a moment to pay their respects.  They were quite emotional, and again, I was rather shocked by the amount of tears and sadness I saw from people I never expected to see react that way.  Then, it was time for our final goodbyes – the absolute worst part of the entire process.  I forget what I said, but I know I tried to say something meaningful and perfect to the ears that couldn’t even hear me.  My words just seemed empty.  What could I possibly say at this point that would make any sort of difference?
We drove in our own cars for the mile or so ride to the church.  Mike accompanied us in the hearse.  When we arrived, the guys brought him out, up the steps and inside.  When we filed into the building, it was already well-packed.  We sat up front, of course, and the service began.  Most of the funeral is a blur to me.  It contained all the usual elements of a proper Catholic service which, ironically, was not Mike’s taste.  The priest did his thing, our friend sang the chosen hymns, the incense rose, and we took communion.  Aaron read one reading, while Jeff, tearfully, read another.  When it was our turn, I accompanied Karen and the rest of Mike’s sisters (along with the younger kids), up to the podium.  We all felt the sting.  Karen was wavering, but I put my hand on her back to let her know she could do it.  She told me later that my gesture was what gave her strength.  She began to read, and prepared a small intro before sharing Mike’s two original pieces.  As she read, I just remember stoically looking out at the crowd to see who was there and how they were reacting to it all.  I saw some faces that I didn’t even realize were present.  As she finished the reading, she explained to everyone that our friend would soon be singing, “I’ll Stand By You,” the song that Mike believed contained God’s words to him.  She asked them to please listen carefully to the words.  Once she finished her reading, the entire congregation erupted in applause.  I had never seen anything like it.
The service was concluding.  The organ began to play, and our friend began to sing.  This was the song that would put us all over the edge.  This was the song that meant everything to Mike, and one that now meant something to everyone else.  We in the first few rows began to rise as Mike was wheeled slowly down the aisle.  I don’t know how I had the strength to walk.  I had my mother on one side, and Mike’s mother on the other side.  All I could do was stare ahead at Mike’s casket and towards the sunlight coming in through the open doors, beckoning him.  Amazingly, people stayed put inside the church and listened to the song, as if to soak in and digest every line they were hearing.  Outside, Mike was brought back down the steps and into the waiting hearse.  Again, all I could do was stare.  This couldn’t be real.  A few hundred feet away, a bagpiper played.  He was a friend of John’s, and came down to play as a favor to him.  John so wanted to do this for us, and even though I sensed some resistance on Jack’s part when I first mentioned it, I allowed it.  I knew it was important to John.  He shows his emotions so rarely, and I knew this was his way of showing Mike, and me, his love.  I know Jack’s hesitation only came from fearing the emotion the music would stir.
As the time approached for the hearse to leave, we each came by to once again say goodbye.  With tear-filled eyes, I kissed my hand and placed it firmly on the casket, leaving it there for several seconds as if to keep him there for as long as I could.  Anthony was crying uncontrollably as he looked at the casket that held his beloved uncle, about to see him leave for the last time.  This boy I first met when he was barely three years old was now a young man, and the pain I saw on his face just killed me.  Within minutes, the car began to drive away.  I stood there with my arms crossed, as if to console myself.  My eyes remained transfixed on the hearse as it slowly drove up the road, until it was out of sight.  For several moments after it left my field of vision, I still stared.  It was all too much to believe.  Everyone spent a few minutes standing outside of the church, making small talk and lightening things up with some laughter.  Almost everyone then made their way across the street to the parish hall where we had Panera Bread cater lunch for our guests, which numbered well over a hundred people.  The coffee was donated, free of charge, by the proprietor of a local coffee chain.  We met her a year or two beforehand at a Leukemia & Lymphoma Society benefit.  There, I took a picture of her and Mike, and we displayed the photo at the luncheon above the coffee dispensers.
I spent the next hour or two making rounds, like visiting with guests at a wedding.  It felt so awkward going around and talking to everyone without Mike.  Here they all were, tons of people gathered to honor Mike, and he wasn’t even there to be part of it.  I felt like I was walking around in a fog, trying to thank as many people as possible, but not feeling like talking to anyone.  I remember many people trying to get me to sit and eat, but I never had a bite.  I had zero appetite, and I couldn’t imagine ever feeling the desire to eat again.
The crowd eventually began to thin.  I said goodbye to some of the friends and family who had to get on the road and make the long drives back home.  I sat for a while in the outer sitting area with my friend Jen, and Mike’s friends Pete and Aaron.  I remember us talking about life and faith, and I remember discussing Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who passed just nine days before Mike (I remember Mike even seeing it on the news and saying, “Oh, he died?”).  Aaron and I noted the sad irony of how Jobs seemed to have everything in the world – money, connections and resources – and yet it couldn’t save him from his cancer.  Aaron further noted that the thing Jobs was missing most of all was Christ, and we were so thankful that Mike had that.
Once we left the church, the family went back to Jack and Ellie’s house.  Aaron, Pete and Jen came back with us.  We all tried to unwind knowing that the worst (as far as the formalities) was over.  Pretty soon, an impromptu Wiffle Ball game broke out in the backyard, with all the guys participating.  It was the absolute perfect way to honor Mike.  Jen came with me so I could go back to our house and get a change of clothes along with my camera.  I also grabbed some beers, which were left over from Mike’s birthday party, so we could all have some drinks and toast Mike.  It was a painful, though touching, sight to see the guys playing Mike’s favorite game.  On another day, under other circumstances, Mike would be leading the charge on such a game, and he would have been the one most interested in sharing the game with his two nephews.  A few of us watched from the deck, and I took some pictures.  Later, once the game had commenced, we gathered inside in the kitchen and had some beers.  We toasted the man of the hour and continued to release some of our pain by sharing stories.  As darkness began to fall, Pete and Aaron were getting ready to leave.  They worked out a carpool situation since they would both fly out the next morning.  We stood outside in front of Jack and Ellie’s house and shared tearful goodbyes.  The conversation I had with Pete will stay with me forever.  He told me how much I meant to Mike, and that after God, Mike loved me more than anything in the world.  He told me how Mike and I had a relationship that most people never have, and that he was jealous of what Mike and I shared.  It was a comment that made me so thankful for my wonderful husband, and also made me miss him more.  Most of all, I knew that my marriage to Mike had all the markings of a perfect love, and Pete’s comment reinforced that everyone who knew us knew it, too.
October 21 marked the last day I ever saw Mike.  It marked the last day of a week-long series of shocks, reality checks and goodbyes.  It marked the end of me being Mike’s wife.  Yet, it was the beginning of a world of grief and a journey of coping and healing that I never, ever thought I would survive.  Perhaps the best reason to have taken nearly three and a half years to write this is to show that I’m still here.  I did survive, and while I will spend the rest of my life coping with this great loss, I know that as long as I’m coping, I’m still living.  The best way to make up for Mike’s shortened life is to make the best of mine.

No comments: