Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Latest

The biopsy was positive for leukemia. No big surprise the way things were going, I guess.

The infection is gone, and Mike continues with antibiotics, but the blood counts are still very low. Chemo was re-started a few days ago.

Mike's kidneys have taken a hit, either from the infection, the leukemia, or both. They're keeping a close eye on his renal function. His ankles and feet are also swollen and retaining fluid.

Mike's blood pressure and heart rate have been elevated, so he's been put on medicine for that.

To top things off, Mike woke up yesterday with fogginess in his right eye. An ophthamologist was brought in to take a look and found that the high pressure had returned. It looks more likely now that the eye issue is related to the cancer, though it can't be confirmed. This morning, Mike was again given methotrexate injections in each eye.

Just when it seems like things can't get worse, a new problem is brought into the mix.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Lauren...I am so sorry. So so sorry. You both, as well as the doctors and everyone else involved, continue to be in my prayers.

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry. There are just no words. Praying for y'all...please keep us updated.

Miss Tori said...

I am so sorry for all that you two are going through. You continue to be in my prayers for complete healing and strength to get through all of this.

Jenn said...

Words cannot express the sorrow I feel in my heart for you and Mike. I was holding onto hope for good news so I can only imagine how the two of you feel. I will continue to pray for both of you and that you will get through this time.